In the UK, nearly:
- 40% of adults are physically inactive - meaning they participate in less than 30 minutes of physicial activity daily
- Adults spend 16x longer watching TV on average than being physically active in the UK
- The cost of physical inactivity to the NHS in England is estimated at £1BN
- Increased walking can help reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, dementia and improve mental health
It is recommended that adults should do at least 150 minutes of moderate intensity activity per week, moderate exercise could include brisk walking, tennis, dancing, riding a bike and/or hiking.
If you are able, why not consider leaving the car at home and try other ways of travelling to work?
- A brisk walk is a great way to start the day - if you live locally why not challenge yourself to increase your step count and walk to work
- Cycle to work and check out our newly upgraded bike storage at HRI!
- Cycling is a cost effecitve way to improve your health and reduce emissions.
- We should all be aiming to walk 10,000 steps every day.
- Short walks everyday have the potential to increase productivity by 30%!