Our Green Plan and Sustainability
The CHFT Green Plan was created by WRM on behalf of CHS and is a 3 to 5 year Board approved strategy, outlining our organisational aims, objectives, and delivery plans for sustainable development.
The Green Plan helps us to:
- Deliver the NHS Long-Term plan
- Improve the health of the local community
- Achieve our financial goals
- Meet our legislative requirements.
The Green Plan calculates a carbon baseline for the Trust using historic ERIC data.
An ambitious Sustainability Action Plan (SAP) has also been developed for the Trust, which sets out a range of interventions for delivery between 2020-2025.
Key areas of focus
- Reducing our carbon emissions
- Reducing our contribution to air pollution
- Reducing our generation of waste and improving recycling
The Trust has approved the following targets for carbon reduction, in line with national commitments:
- Net zero for the NHS Carbon Footprint (scope 1&2 emissions).
- 100% reduction of direct carbon emissions by 2040:
- 80% reduction achieved between 2028-2032 (interim target).
- Net zero for the NHS Carbons Footprint Plus (scope 3 incl. patient / visitor travel):
- 100% reduction of indirect / supply chain emissions by 2045:
- 80% reduction achieved between 2036-2039 (interim target).
The following targets have also been adopted:
- The Trust will convert 90% of our fleet to low, ultra-low and zero-emission vehicles by 2028.
- The Trust will cut air pollution emissions from business mileage and our fleet by 20% by March 2024.
- The Trust will work to reduce single occupancy journeys.
- The Trust will achieve a minimum recycling target of 40% for non-clinical waste streams.
- The Trust will sign and adopt the Single-Use Plastic Pledge.
- The Trust will adopt a Zero to Landfill policy- sending no waste to landfill by 2021.